As 2016 (FINALLY) comes to an end, us marketers now look forward to the upcoming year with renewed hope, refreshed expectations, and revitalized goals. The slate is clean again—we can dust off the residue from quarters past, and use what we’ve learned to move ahead with more speed, precision, and know-how.
It’s hard to look forward without first looking back to figure out what to do differently this time around. And since resolutions just come with the New Year’s territory, we’ve outlined 10 good ones to help data-driven marketers get a head start and step up their game in 2017.
- Track and measure everything throughout a deal’s journey. The steps your leads take towards the dotted line will tell you how to plan for more success in the future.
- Develop an ABM strategy that works. Define and locate your target accounts, get to know their internal decision-makers’ biggest challenges, and then decide where and how to target them. From there, continue to track results and refine your strategy.
- Look at more than leads. Yes, generating leads is important—but so is generating pipeline and revenue. Start understanding where and how your team influences deals throughout the entire funnel.
- Instead of crying over spilled milk, learn from it. If a campaign failed last year, take a step back to figure out where you went wrong so that you can make more informed decisions—and see more success—as you move forward.
- Play hardball with budget by proving what you’ve delivered for the business. Definitively show marketing’s impact, ROI, and direct contributions to pipeline and revenue, and whoever holds the purse strings won’t be able to say no.
- Listen to your fans, your foes, and your customers. Their words will help determine your future strategies and focal points.
- Don’t underestimate your value to the business. Find out which metrics you can track to show how you contribute to the bigger picture, and then pull the right reports so that you earn the respect and praise you deserve.
- Measure everything. Once you’ve collected all the data in one place, use it to make more informed decisions around upcoming events, content, social media, ABM strategies, paid programs, and more.
- Celebrate every win as a team. Big or small, individual or collective, every success matters—track progress, gather results, and don’t forget to stop and appreciate the accomplishments.
- Have fun! Be creative, give yourself room to fail and grow, and don’t take it all so seriously.
Let’s raise a glass to 2017 being your biggest, brightest, and most successful year yet. Happy New Year!